Wednesday, November 14, 2007

As the truck made it's way up the hill I jogged as fast as I could until the truck's headlights swung around the corner. Calling Shilo to me I put her on the leash and we moved to the shoulder of the road to let the truck go by. The windows were tinted so I couldn't tell if it was one or more people inside. As it made it's way along the ridge ahead of me I started walking again. There was nothing to do but get back to the car ASAP.

Then the truck stopped and turned and backed into a spur - it's headlight (only one was working) shining out across the field. I was going to have to walk past them again. I stuck my chin out determined to look confident and unafraid. That fell away when the engine started up again and the truck started slowly back towards me. As they passed this time the window was rolled down and a man leaned out to ask me how I was doing. I responded with "Fine, just walking my dog." and kept walking the other way. Once they were a ways away I called Signe again. I was scared. Another set of headlights were moving along the upper road - the fork was close and I didn't know if they were going to come down this road too!

The one headlight truck was turning around again behind me. I asked Signe just to stay on the phone with me so they'd see me talking to someone - and I kept walking. The truck ahead of me went back down the paved section and left the area. This time the truck passed me rather quickly and went down the paved road also! I hustled even faster, eager to be done with this walk! Signe said the one eye truck came to the barricades at the start of the road, turned around and was heading back to towards the dirt roads. Thats when I knew Signe was waiting at the head of the road! We continued to talk as I reached the pavement and then realized she was walking to meet me and we had passed each other in the dark! I switched on my flashlight and we found each other! I was almost hysterical. It was not a relaxing walk under the stars!

Tonight we went to the YMCA and worked out for an hour!

And that was the rest of the story!

1 comment:

Diane said...

Cell phones are soooo wonderful!!! My guess is that the Y is much safer - and if you need stars - do loops in the back yard. Walking alone in the dark is NOT safe. . . CSI or not. I am so glad you are safe and that God was looking over your shoulder. And that He let Signe out to meet you!!!