Monday, January 03, 2011

New Year 2011 How strange that sounds to my ears! But I am doing what I can to make this a good year. I got up and participated in the Hangover Handicap Run/Walk in Old Town Klamath Falls on New Years Day. I say participated because I did not run or even speed walk. With Jaycup on a leash I strolled, along with another non-runner, the 2.8 mile course. At one point we passed a few others and remarked we wouldn't the the last ones to finish but they all picked up their pace towards the end and I have the distinction of being the last one across the finish line. My companion for the event was a visitor to Klamath Falls so it only seemed right to let her cross before me. My time in the Sunday Herald and News is listed last (of course) as 43.37! The winners finished in 12 minutes 43 seconds. But I was out there!!!!!

2010 was possibly the busiest year I can ever remember.

Jack and I celebrated 2010 New Year's Eve in Vero Beach, Florida with Diane and Keith.

In March I went to Thailand where Brett, Maya and I spent 3 weeks going from Bangkok to Tonsai to Chaing Rai, to Laos to Chaing Mai and back to Bankok. During that time I got lost in Bangkok, suffered from heat stroke in Tonsai, fell and twisted my ankle severely in Laos. I also rode an elephant, visited all the famous sites in Bangkok, experienced a culture radically different than anything I've ever known, got to spend time with my future daughter-in-law and enjoy several wonderful Thai massages - just to mention a few of the good things that happened.

May 2010 was spent in preparation for Brett and Maya's wedding. We took our travel trailer to Zion National Park a week before their May 29th ceremony and took in the area. After the weekend celebration and a quick trip back to Oregon I took off for my summer job as a camp host in the Deschuttes National Forest.

June, July, August and up to September 12th I lived in our travel trailer at first Quinn River and then Cultus Lake with Jaycup and Shiloh and 'worked' as a camp host. I love being a camp host and the summer passed quickly. I had snow on my birthday for the first time in my life! August 31st is normally still considered summer... even in the mountains!

On September 17th I experienced the most frightening event I can remember. After a two day hospital stay and a week of paralysis on my left side my life returned to 'normal' but I was left with a deep appreciation of friends, health and mobility as well as some less desirable apprehensions.

OCTOBER 5 Concetta Bettin Pilgrim was born while I was on my way to Austin, Texas! My first grandchild! I got to spend the first 10 days of Cetta's life with her, Maya and Brett. I didn't see very much of Austin on that trip but that was fine with me. I got to see my granddaughter day and night.

On returning to Oregon I made a side trip to Pendleton, Oregon for what turned out to be my last visit with my brother. Two years ago the doctors had given him only months to live but now he was in the infirmary.

Gerald died on November 12 from liver failure. Death of a close friend and Uncle Jim followed within 30 days.

Christmas 2010 was made special by a number of things. One, Jack and I were home and got to put up our own decorations! Secondly, Mom and Teri came up from Anderson and spent several days with us which included Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. It was the first time since I was 19 years old that we shared a Christmas together!

Those were the highlights of 2010. I'm hoping 2011 will be less busy!


No comments: