Thursday, August 21, 2008

We've been home one week today. On Monday Jack and I went to our respective doctors - the antibiotic seemed to knock out the fever and killer headaches but we were not "better". Blood tests show elevated liver enzimes and low white blood cell count for both of us. The dengue fever tests have been taken and sent off... Weakness makes us "take it easy" even if we are silly enough to mow the lawn or vaccum the carpet. One bout of activity requires 14 to 16 hours of rest!

Jack is now up and around more than I. Although we've both developed a red, full body rash I am the only one that has swollen up with retained fluids! My feet and legs ache more than anywhere else although I ache all over. Dizyness has become my constant companion anytime I am up and walking around! The doctor says there should only be another few days of this stage... and then up to 3 months to recover strength and energy.

This morning Jack shared he thinks he isn't being impacted as hard as I because he was inoculated for all the jungle diseases when he went to the Phillipines when he was in the military 45 years ago. Hmm? I think it's the female tendency to retain water. Don't know if that is one to pose to the doctor or not.

I have managed to get the pitures from our trip on one computer and will try to get them sorted and tagged. We did get around on what was our last trip to Mexico. Even if this isn't dengue Jack is clear he never wants to go to Mexico again.

I am reading a novel, Almanac of the Dead by Leslie Marmon Silko - which I had started before going to Mexico - and find it fits well with the read, sleep, dream routine I'm doing! The book is different than any other I've ever read and I have to do it in small doses.
Everything is in small doses right now!

1 comment:

Diane said...

You'll get better. It won't be long before you are "bugging" Jack to go on something else for your adreniline rush! LOL Get well soon.
Love you, SIS