Tuesday, April 14, 2009

My First Florida Weather Watch

It's 11 am - check out time at the Holiday Inn Select near the Orlando International Airport and the TV screens in the lobby are repeating Tornado Warnings over and over with doppler screens showing the storm front as it is moving across the state. Currently the thunder, rain and winds are hitting this area but the 'high wind cell' is behind that and coming this way. Hmmm a whole bunch of new terminalogy to learn and dechipher!

The advisory is to stay in and do not drive if you do not have to so I believe I will have breakfast here at the Holiday Inn and watch the screens a bit longer. The storm warning extends to Melbourne Beach... about half way to Vero Beach... my destination.

Jack flew out at 6 am this morning and should be in Portland, Oregon in a few more hours. Mike will pick him up there and then he'll be on his way across the state to our home. He may be dealing with snow and ice issues! Every area has it's "issues"!

Yesterday we spent a great day at the Kennedy Space Center before checking in to the Holiday Inn. Jack was asleep almost immediately! The Shuttle Experience was interesting but not as good as the space shuttle ride Diane and I did at Disney World a few years ago. Touching a real moon rock was cool, seeing the Land Rover and the emmensity of the rockets was awe inspiring.

I planned to return today and see the IMAX shows and the Hall of Fame but think that will have to keep for another day. Since I got the tickets signed I can go back within the next 7 days. Maybe Diane and I will drive up one day. It's only an hour away.

Thunder is rolling and lightening striking! I think I'll go eat something! Comfort food!

And of all times my cell phone battery has run out! Darn!

No comments: