Saturday, April 03, 2010

Thursday - Day 2 in Bangkok (con't)










I absolutely do not understand why they outlawed the fish foot spas in the US.


Seems like it is a win-win deal!


It was a nice way to treat your feet after walking on the hot streets of Bangkok!




We went on to purchase the tickets to the most awesome theatrical show I've seen since seeing The Phantom of the Opera in San Francisco many years ago!


One of the things I really wanted to see while in Thailand was traditional Thai dancing. I had read in the Lonely Planet Thailand book about a demonstration given at one of the temples but Brett and Maya treated me to Siam Niramit! We could not take pictures of the production but some of the actors were available to pose for pictures afterward which is what you see here. These are full grown Thai dancers! You can understand why I didn't find much in the way of clothes I could buy in Thailand!
The show itself was wonderful. Three 'acts' contained all the types of Thai dancing I'd seen in the movies, on the internet and read about. The costumes were beyond description and the elegance of the dancers spellbinding. If a person knows the legends, myths and history of Thailand I am sure it would be even more meaningful but the pageantry was spectacular enough to mesmerize a farang like me. The scale of the show is epitomized by elephants, decked out in full royal regalia and carrying the "Princess and Prince" walked through the wide isle between the upper and lower decks of seats as part of a royal procession. Special effects were incredible.
The link for Siam Niramit takes a minute or so to load but you will get a real glimpse of what the show is like for your patience! Be sure to have your speakers on ... but not to high!
The three of us also toured the "village" area and Maya said they were pretty accurate reconstructions of the different hill tribe architecture. I saw my first little rice pattie there!
The night was magical for me. I am very grateful Brett and Maya knew to take me to see it!
Thursday night ended with a comfortable taxi ride back to our garden spot between Soi 4 and Soi 6.
It was a spectacular full first day in Thailand.

No comments: