Friday, May 07, 2010

What have I been doing with my time?

Brett and Maya arrived in their sleek new-to-them ride on April 30th and the days since then have flown by.

Friday night we had a pazole dinner party with friends that doubled as a cupcake taste testing. The vegan chocolate cupcakes passed muster without any changes. Everyone was surprized that the favored mocha almond cupcakes were sugar and gluten free so they are a go - with modifications. It was decided to forgo the almonds and increase the coffee flavor. Brett has a sensitivity to nuts! I didn't know that! The angel food cupcakes were the worst. They were dry. Krista contacted a real baker (her ex-sister-in-law) for some tips on making a moister angel food cake.

Saturday we were off with my hiking group to the Rim Trail above Moore Park. It was only an hour and a half walk but everyone enjoyed it. Brett and Maya got to streach their legs after days of traveling. Then we set to the numerous wedding preparation projects!

Sunday we took in the caves at Lava Lands National Park in California. It was only an hour drive and the two caves we went through were terrific. Mushpot Cave was lit and and interpretive signs but Golden Dome Cave was not. I felt like a true spulunker! The visitor center supplied us with high powered lanterns which were a must as the floor was uneven and there was absolutally no light coming from outside. I think I'll take my bicycle helmet next time too. The ceiling were really low in some places. There are many more caves yet to explore but we wanted to take in Captain Jack's Stronghold also so we limited ourselves to two.

Among the wedding projects I packaged up the wonderful homemade jam's my sister Diane sent to be given to the international guests. Maya and Brett have hand picked the special guests to receive the blackberry, blueberry, triple berry and pear mix sweets!



And for those who wondered if Hogback Mountain was something out of Harry Potter.... here is a picture of the real Hogback Mountain that several friends and I climbed several weekends ago! The Lone Pine on the top of the mountain was our goal. Now every time we look up we can say, " I touched that tree- I own that mountain!"


Today is go through the camping gear day. Brett and Maya will be in Zion before anyone else and are going to be camping until it is time to take over the houses at Zion Ponderosa Ranch Resort.

Jack is busy preparing the truck and our new-to-us travel trailer for our trip to Zion more towards the end of the month.

The wedding is quickly approaching and excitement levels rising! Emails are flying through the ether!

1 comment:

Diane said...

Thanks for wrapping the jellies for me - they look great! As always - I just plain ran out of time! I was so glad they even got there all in 1 piece - just frosting on the cake :-O

I am still hoping to make it to the wedding - some days it sounds like a possibility - and then others - not so much - so I guess one day a final decision will be made... hope it's the one I want. Tell the kids I said HI! Love you, SIS