Saturday, September 23, 2006

Mike and I really hiked yesterday! First we walked around Westmooreland Park where Mike launched a few hundred ducks. He could care less about them but they all took to the water as soon as we approached. Mike hasn't a clue he is a "bird dog". He just trots around smelling things. And water? Forget about it! Those ducks are SAFE! There seems to be a thing at that park that I suspect may be an outdoor ice skating rink in the winter... will have to check it out then. It is a nice sized park with lots for everyone but I was really thinking along the lines of woods, trails, something other than paved paths. So we took off in my little red car and went in search of a map again.

Thanks to the nice ladies at Sellwood Community Center I now have a map and got great directions on how to get to the Thurman Street Forrest Park trailhead in NW Portland! It is a wonderful shaded path with many side trails leading off from it. We saw joggers, mountain bikers, fellow walkers, and mom's with strollers during our 5 mile hike! Not all at one time and everyone was very pleasant. It was great. I got to reflect on the reading from Cherokee Days about how we are like trees... when the terrain is rough deep roots need to be put down and then we streach to the sky for nourishing sunlight and rain. Just our being replentishes good elements back into the environment.

Mike and I both had to take asprin at bedtime! I figure we put in atleast 6 miles!

Today was Operating Systems class, a brief visit with Caleb,Kelly and Oliver, and then back home to attach homework. Lots of that!

Now I'm wrapping up the day - At midnight!

1 comment:

Diane said...

Sounds like a long lean day!! You have way more energy than I. Glad you are getting your circle together - and don't forget - the more you network. . .

Heard anything from Cousin Candy or any of that side of the family? I've been looking at those geneology pages we did - wondering just how to organize them> > >