Thursday, March 01, 2007
















Day 9 - Saturday - 2-10-2007

Last night was a quieter Friday night than our 1st Friday night here. Since it is not a fiesta weekend it might have been a more normal evening.

We returned to Casa Cafe for our usual breakfast. My energy level is very low. On the back of both my hands and up most of my arms I have a skin rash. In some spots pustules have formed and I'm trying not to scratch at them. My left arm is not as bad as the right. Jack says my face is flushed too. We've decided to stay out of the sun today. Don't know if it is sun, salt water, a combination of both, or a reaction to some food but the sun seems to aggravate it. We found a long sleeved Scuba pull over shirt for me to wear as we shopped for gifts to take home for my co-workers and friends.

The streets are brick or pavers and radiate the heat! We finally bought Tee-shirts for everyone we hadn't already purchased for. Jack's ankle has doubled in size although he says it doesn't hurt anymore than usual. Maybe it's the heat and humidity. People are saying it is unusually humid for this time of year. We decided it was siesta time early today!

I finished my third book this evening. I'd picked "Leave No Trace" by Hannah Nyala up this morning at Cafe Marina's book exchange. The story was captivating, which was good because the day proceeded to get hotter and muggier. My rash raised up red as we walked around in the morning sun so after our siesta we decided to lay around under the ceiling fan and read until the sun set. Jack ventured out ALONE this afternoon to get fresh fruit from the Mercado for us to snack on. That was a first! He didn't have any trouble getting what he wanted either!
















About 7 pm we dressed - we strip down to bare essentials while in our room to best enjoy the fan - and strolled the two blocks to Nueva Zelanda on Galena and had dinner. We had a light dinner and the took our "routine" walk to the bay and getting ice cream from the Italian ice cream shop on Juan Alvarez. I got Tarasumi tonight and Jack got a watermelon sherbet. Not on purpose - he just pointed at one that looked good!

We ate our ice cream under the big tree on the Paseo we started making our way back to our hotel is a leisurely way. Looking in silver shops for unique hair clasps, checking prices on pure vanilla at different shops and finally stopping at the little hole in the wall pastry shop just around the corner from our room. Last night the baker said they would have apple turnovers like the ones we got the first time we stopped there. I really liked that and wanted another so we made a point of stopping tonight. No apple turnovers! I settled for a creama turnover. It was okay but but I think I will make apple turnovers soon after we get home!

Jack read until about 8:30 pm and then fell asleep. My book kept me awake until almost midnight. One of those books you just can't put down!

1 comment:

Diane said...

I don't know about down there - but I just heard that tiny little itty bitty jellyfish cause red rashes and little blisters on people - and the people don't even know they've been "brushed".

Kokomo sounds like the bars in TJ - not the ones we went to - more the kids (twentys) bars.

Still having fun - love reading about it!!