Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Good news and bad news. Good news is that the weather has been beautiful and Jack and I got most of our spring yard work done this past weekend.

Bad news is that Jack found his dad nearly unconscious and bleeding internally on Monday morning. Jack called 911 and spent a harrowing day with trying to get all the information on what medications Dad takes and why. Dad can't hear anything that is being said without his hearing aides and they didn't stop to get them in the rush to get him to the hospital. Jack ended up going back to the house and getting all the RX bottles and taking them to the hospital.

In the course of the day Jack shut the truck door on his hand and split his forefinger about the length of the first joint! This was after he'd spent a big part of the afternoon shampooing Dad's carpet so stains wouldn't be left from the blood. He should get stitches (about 4 I think) but won't go to the doctors. We've got it wrapped with a butterfly bandage and are putting neosporan on it every time he changes the bandage. It is still bleeding through the band aide gauze as of this evening. He says it's to late to get stitches now. I don't know so I am not going to argue the point.

Dad is being kept at the hospital and has had at least 3 units of blood transfused in to him. He is looking better but is very weak. I spent a couple hours keeping him company last night but when we went in after I got off work this afternoon he looked very tired and sleepy. I decided to just make it a short visit and come home. The doctor said Dad will stay in the telemetry unit until Thursday so they can monitor him. I'm feeling pretty tired myself. Jack's hand hurt him so much he tossed and turned trying to find a comfortable way to lay all through the night... so neither of us slept much!

I'm sure worry over his Dad was going on too. Dad had been complaining of being tired and Jack went to the house Monday morning with the intention of taking him to the doctors offfice. The doctor has told us there is nothing more that should have been done and that Jack did everything right but it is hard not to second guess yourself under these circumstances.

And today I find out Mom Judy has a broken foot and is in a walking cast. It took her doctor three weeks, x-rays, and a CAT scan to figure out what she told him the first day... that her foot is broken!

Seems like everyone around me is having difficult times one way or another! I'm closing this day with a prayer that Dad and all those that I love are given healing and strength from my friend upstairs!

1 comment:

Diane said...

Good for the yard work!! It is hard to realize that those you love are getting weaker than you want to let them. Thanks for the update about Mom J and I guess Dad D is doing ok. Talked to him last week. The waters are calmer this week but Keith takes off again on Tuesday!!