Tuesday, July 08, 2008

We're so busy I can't keep up with it on the blog! The deep dive - was interesting in that they proved to us how it is to be "narked".

While we were on the boat ramp each one of us was timed on how long it took us to pick out and point to numbers 1 through 20 which were randomly placed on a water proof chart that was taken down to the deep dive platform. At 80 feet deep we were timed again and the time it took was twice as long for me! And I distinctly remember thinking, "I'm doing it much quicker this time! Must be because I've done it once now." And then a small jellyfish pulsed by and was caught up in watching it move through the water until the instructor tapped me on the shoulder and showed me that everyone else had started off in the direction of the shore.

Point being that your thinking isn't as clear when you are deep and you need to be very aware that reaction time is slower than you think it is. A drunk with out the hangover!

Jack and I went North to Port Townsend and took the ferry to Whitbey Island then went off to LaConner where we spent two days. It was grey and wet except for the afternoon we spent on San Juan Island at Lime Kiln Point. There the sun broke out long enough for us to enjoy our picnic lunch. I spent the ferry ride through the San Juan Islands out on the front deck watching for the Orca's. Normally they are seen at Lime Kiln Point but on this day they were at Anacortes. I watched in hopes of seeing them coming through the channels. As the ferry approached the Anacortes terminal several bright colored boats zoomed up and I spotted the Orca pod moving through the water between the boats. There were 6 or 7 of them and with the binoculars I could see the rippled dorsal fin of the male Orca featured at the Whale Museam we'd visited in Friday Harbor. I was jazzed to get to see them before we left!

I am not cut out for the overcast coast! We drove down to Paradise Cove the following day and after another grey rainy day, which we spent driving to Seaside for a bowl of clam chowder, Jack and I decided to cut our trip short and return home. The high blue skies of the Klamath Basin were a welcome sight!

And so ended my 1st road trip of retirement!

1 comment:

Diane said...

The first of mant to come!! The time will actually come that you just want to stay home (yuk yuk!) Glad the weather was better for your next trip!