Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Oh, it is official. The tests came back positive. Jack and I had dengue fever. Did I post that? We found out our liver enzymes are about 3 times higher than normal and at this point that is the only remnant of having the fever. That and having low energy levels still. So we will be very choosy where we travel and when. It's the second bout that can be life threatening! Tests will be run on our blood counts and liver enzymes in 3 months to make sure everything goes back to normal.

Jack, Mike and I enjoyed my 52nd birthday on Sunday! First was the 5 hour, 13 river miles trip down the Upper Klamath River!























It was awesome! The rapids were Class 4+ because only one turbine released water Sunday. When the John C Boyle Dam releases two turbines some of those Class 4+ rapids become 5's and there are different routes that can be taken. It was all fine with me. I had a great time and got to work my muscles plenty. The pictures don't do the rapids justice but I'll post a few.














One memory is of our 10 ft raft going sideways down into the trough of a wave and the wave breaking right over Mike's helmet, our raft filled up to our knees with water and the guide was yelling "Paddle forward!" How did they do it before self bailing rafts! I didn't get a picture of that... I was otherwise occupied! It was a thrill a minute for about seven miles! We were soaked to the bone and a bit chilled because it only got up into the low 70's that day. The water was pretty warm but the wind kept us chilled.
































I was really pleased with Noah's Rafting Tours (http://www.noahsrafting.com/klamath-river-whitewater-rafting.php )and two of the couples that were on the trip were repeat customers with nothing but praise for the outfit for all the rivers they run. Our guide, Clayton, did an excellent job of letting us have lots of action but not ever making us fear for our lives. The safety talk on the bus on the way up to the launch site was the scarest part of our trip.

Paco put "the fear" into us with what to do "in the unlikely event". And then we saw the streacher board strapped to the tree at the end of Hell's Half Mile of rapids and we got a little sobered up again.
Then when Mike and I got back to Klamath Falls Jack had the worlds best barbaqued rib steak dinner ready for us! After that he brought out my birthday "cake" - Strawberry Cheesecake! Jack and I were asleep by 9:30 pm!
I don't know how long Mike stayed up Sunday but he slept in until 11:30 Monday morning. I had been up since 7:30 but had also taken three "naps" by then! I roused myself up to eat brunch and then napped some more. Mike was fine watching TV, reading some of the stuff we brought back from the Yucatan, looking a pictures of the trip and generally just relaxing with Jack as I dosed off and on. I really used ALL my energy on Sunday! Labor Day did not have any in it at our house!
I hope everyone had a safe and happy Labor Day weekend!

No comments: