Wednesday, December 02, 2009


WE HAD FUN on our Eastern Caribbean Cruise!












This was our second time on the Carnival Glory so we got a GOLD sail and sign card! We also went to a special afternoon gathering for repeat cruisers where they served great snacks and all you could drink for the 45 minute social! The fruit juice was good in addition to the diet Coke! We certainly didn't break their budget on what we consumed! There was a cute contest and we got to hear the Captain speak.... a nice little perk altogether.

Time went quickly and even with 3 days at sea we didn't get to do many of the activities available. Our dinner time was 8:15 pm so that was usually the last thing Jack did each day! We had such a great group of people at our table that ours was the last to leave the diningroom each night - never before 10:15 pm! I went to most of the productions afterward after seeing Jack back to our room. The live music, dancing and comedy was very entertaining! Each day in port, whatever port we were at, we shopped! I now have some more trinkets and a few very nice pieces of jewelry!


In Nassau we rented scooters and zipped up and down West Bay Street which follows the coast line--- driving on the left side of the road was the only real challenge! I had a blast... Jack swore I was trying to get us killed but I don't think he was serious. The drivers did tend to just pass us like we weren't really there. I was going the speed limit because my front tire wobbled if I went over 40 mph. The woman said she'd give me a nice lady's scooter... Jack left me in the dust a couple of times... his didn't have a wobble. We went to the Ardastra Gardens Zoo because we were lost and saw the sign. In the parking lot we took out the map the scooter rental gave us and got our barrings again. The guard there gave us some directions to Fort Charlotte and then stood by exclaiming "Oh dear" "Oh dear" as I repeatedly tryed to get my scooter to start again. The fourth try was sucessful and I happily waved good bye and headed away from his pesimistic cloud. Jack followed. After Fort Charlotte we just enjoyed putt-putting around and taking in the beautiful beaches, lush vegetation and many, many vacation homes. We got to watch a couple of minutes of cricket also!




















Charlotte Amalie on St. Thomas was very full as there were three cruise ships in port! Our shore excursion there was 2 hrs shopping followed by 2 hrs at Megan's Bay beach after returning us to the ship to drop off our purchases. The "taxi" ride up and over the ridge that seperates the island into the Caribbean side and Atlantic side was like a wild mouse ride at a carnival! The roads were very narrow with hairpin turns both up and down! I was glad I was still wearing my sea bands! The water at Megan's beach was wonderful and the sand as white and soft as it is always described. We had two of the best sirloin burgers I've ever had at the beach reasturant and then enjoyed the water!
















Our third port was Philipsburg on St. Maarten. I'd found a restored plantation on the internet for us to explore while we were on St. Maarten. The beach excursions to Orient Beach all warned that nudity was common and Jack and I agreed we hadn't been faithful enough to diet or gym to be participating in public viewings and there weren't any other excursions offered by the ship that peaked our interest. Unfortunately, due to water damage created by recent heavy rains the Mr. Vernon Plantation was closed. But before we learned that we boarded a van "taxi" that was bound for Orient Beach. I showed the driver where we wanted to go and she said she'd take us there after dropping off the other 9 passengers. So we did go to Orient Beach and were there long enough for me to be able to verify that people were indeed totally nude. Our little jaunt around the island... which we saw two thirds of during our ride... cost us $40. Our driver was a very outspoken woman and she shared her views on marriage, promiscuity, children, education, dating and divorce during our ride which was very enlightening. Some things are the same all over the world! Leaving our lady driver behind Jack and I opted to take the water taxi to Philipsburg to do some more shopping!






Town was simple to navigate... there is the Boardwalk, Front Street, Back Street and Old Street that connects them all! We got our coffee cups and a few christmas gifts and were ready to return to the ship and relax!
We set sail at six and enjoyed two days at sea during which I mainly slept and read. Jack enjoyed rambling about the ship and snacking as the mood struck him. I had a rotten head cold so I stayed pretty much in one place...bed in our cabin. The heat and humidity agrievated my sinus condition so I stayed indoors. I enjoyed my rest though! Our last night at dinner we exchanged information with our table partners and agreed to met at Oscars for bluegrass music in Sebastian this coming Sunday at 2 pm. Four of our companions are from other small towns within an hour of Sebastian! The third couple are from Canada and had to return to jobs so they had to pass! Casey and Shanta have invited Jack and I to Winterhaven for a canoe trip down the Walk-in-the-Water Creek to see authentic Florida (undeveloped and ungroomed) and we will be taking them up on their offer!
It was a great seven days during which time we celebrated our 3rd wedding anniversary and Thanksgiving! We are really blessed!

No comments: