Friday, October 20, 2006

I have "snapped" in every one of my classes! Saturday the mid-term test was started with inappropriate remarks by the young men in the class about how better grades can be achieved by women in the class - graphically discussed with a great deal of laughter until I pointed out that comments like that will get a person fired in the real world. The instructor hadn't seen fit to "shut it down" until after I said that. I told him after class I will not sit in a classroom and listen to that kind of stuff... it is not a locker room.
The Monday night mid-term (same instructor) was much longer and included writing a Virtual Basic program. The 50 questions only counted for 50% of the grade - the project was the other 50%. Not being one of the quickest I was still working on my program when most of the class was finished. Having finished their midterm several of the other students proceeded to stand/sit around and discuss their favorite games, online gaming strategies, their "charactors", etc. Trying as hard as I could I could not just shut their chatter out and felt very annoyed until they finally left 30 minutes or so later. About that time the instructor told the few remaining students we only had 20 minutes left. With quiet my mind started clicking and I got about 2/3 of the program written and working but then was out of time! I felt sick and told the instructor I really felt it was rude of the students to "hang out and chat" while others were still trying to finish midterm tests. He seemed surprized! I wasn't the only student still working on the test when the others were socializing but they had all left by then. I wonder if they finished or gave up. Anyway he apologized and said he'd make them keep it down "next time". He also warned the final is much more difficult - I'll bring earplugs!
Then tonight's class! Progress grades where handed out. Time was taken as students addressed their individual lists and it was topped off with a particular student that had been asked to not play games on his laptop in the front row becuase it was distracting to others, and only has attitude to contribute each week complained that his test scores were so low he didn't want to finish the class - the snap point for me was when he went on to complain that the guy he'd gotten his answers from for the last quiz (who had been sitting next to him) got a higher grade than he did on the test! And the instructor continued to console him! Telling him he can do make up work... I exploded - I suggested that he read the material in the textbook, not play video games during class, and quit using classtime to whine about his grades and then I looked at the teacher and asked how much we were paying him an hour. (He'd given us a figure of $50 a week or so ago. ) He asked if I felt there was any value to what was going on between him and the other student and I said absolutally NONE. I said I would like to be reviewing some kind of material in class and that may be one or two others would too. The instructor qued up his PC and went on to cover some of the points of Excel and Access which was this weeks subject according to the course outline. It's the most actual material thats been covered during class time in the 7 weeks I've been in that class.

I guess I expect to much from college too! I'm wondering why I am paying so much money to do coursework like I'm taking an online class (studing the material alone , taking tests, waiting for feedback) and going to classes filled with people that don't want to discuss the material, act like a bunch of kids in high school, with instructors that don't seem to be in touch with teaching!
Am I from some other planet? Is this ok with everyone? I don't get it!

3 comments:

Diane said...

Sorry that you are having "troubles" with your classes. Unfortunately, unless I had a private office, most of the workplaces that I've been in have had others' distractions all day long. Just do your best and try to "tune-them-out". They aren't paying for the classes - but you are. I had some of the same problems when I took college classes too. It's a whole different ballgame when it is YOUR money. :( Just keep plugging and the things you DO learn will be valuable!!

I would've had a really hard time keeping my mouth shut as long as you have. Of course, I'm much more verbal with a bunch less patience than you. Maybe you should start each class with particular questions - to keep the educational ball rolling!!!

Keep your chin up - and lots of best wishes and prayers!!

Diane said...

Hey ! ! ! Why don't you start a seperate blog about "college at 50" !!! I'll bet you could get some really great therapy out of writing it. All the good and the bad. And if others ready it - you might get some good hints in the comments - hints for dealing with the kids!!!! Just a thought - and you always did want to write - try it out!!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry that you are having so many problems. Sounds like the instructors aren't the best. If I was you I would say something. In all my classes the students wanted to learn so they could get a good job. Wonder what's wrong with these people!!